Queen Street, 1886, was late Kingston Road until 1884. This is the oldest street in Riverdale and was originally referred to as “the road to Montreal”.
In the early 1840s it was named Queen Street in honour of Queen Victoria.
Queen Street was, however, Riverdale’s first and most important commercial street.
The oldest still existing building in Toronto and the first building on Queen Street is the Scadding Cabin., 1794, which John Scadding had built by William Smith to comply with the terms of his land grant. The cabin was removed to the grounds of the CNE in 1879. It originally stood just south of the present bridge. There is a R.H.S. plaque commemorating the Scadding Cabin at the east end of the Queen Street bridge over the Don.