Hogarth late Wilson Street to 1896, was probably named for the Wilson family who lived in the area. Hogarth Street was named for George Hogarth who owned a farm on the east side of Broadview Avenue opposite Riverdale Park.
The family lived at 58 Hogarth, which was the original farmhouse built in 1875 by Thomas Hogarth, Headmaster of Boulton Street School, resigned 1882 (Toronto Daily Mail). Members of the Hogarth family belonged to the St. Matthew’s Lawn Bowling Club.
Another notable Hogarth Avenue residence is the Owen Staples House and Studio at 69 Hogarth, 1904. Artist Owen Staples, 1866-1949, was known as the “painter of Canada’s past.” The house was designed in the arts and crafts style by Owen Staples and his artist friend, C.W. Jeffries, and built by Jeffries father, C.T. Jeffries. Staples was a prolific artist and illustrator, a member of the Toronto Arts and Letters Club and a long time member of the Mendelssohn Choir. The studio was a regular gathering place for artists and their supporters, including John Ross Robertson, publisher of the Toronto Telegram. The home is still in the Staples family.