Hampton Avenue was named for Hampton Court Palace. The palace was built during the reign of King Henry VIII, 1491-1547 by Thomas Wolsey, Archbishop of York who gave it to the King in an unsuccessful attempt to regain his favour. The palace is one of the great architectural and historical treasures of Britain. George II was the last regaining sovereign to occupy the palace. Hampton is a residential street running from Sparkhall to the Danforth.