Davies Avenue, late Mill Street, was named for Thomas Davies, 1813-1869, a brewer. Thomas Davies left England for Canada in 1832 aboard the same vessel carrying William Gooderham and his family. Gooderham became a distiller just west of the mouth of the Don. Davies, after starting out as a farmer, began a brewery up the Don. He and his wife Fedelia Jones had seven children and, after the brewery was started in 1849, lived in a large home at 33 River Street.