Commissioners Street was named for Asa (meaning physician or cure, the name of the third King of Judah) Danforth, a U.S. colonizer and road builder, 1746-1836 (Arthur) (O). From 1799 to 1800 he built part of Kingston Road. He also designed early Queen Street. Danforth Avenue was built in 1855 by the Danforth Plank Road Company.
There are four notable heritage structures on Danforth Avenue on the northern boundary of Riverdale, the Public Lavatory Building, the Music Hall, Danforth Baptist Church and St. Barnabas Anglican Church.